Recipe for 4 people (2 pieces of meat per person)
Budget : around 3 € / person
Level : Easy
Active time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours
Materials and utensils:
- Casserole or cooker
- Slicing knife
- A cutting board
- Wooden spatula
- 8 pieces of duck, preferably wing tips.
- If you want to make this recipe with duck legs it is quite possible to do so. In this case, plan only one thigh per person. (The price of the recipe will be more expensive, around 5 € per person)
- • 3 Carrots
- • 3 Onions
- • 2 large shallots (4 or 5 if small)
- • A handful of raisins or red berries
- • Some walnuts or hazelnuts
- • 1 fine bottle of cider, 75 cl if you preparing wing tips (1,5 l with thighs)
- • If you like thyme and laurel you can add some in small quantity
Step 1: Cooking the duck
Place the selected duck pieces into your casserole / cooker / pot.
Beware, it is important to know that the duck is a fatty meat that rejects a lot of fat. It is therefore useless to put fat in your container.
Stew slowly until the meat is browned.
Turn the pieces from time to time on each side to watch the cooking.
This can take about 20 to 25 minutes. If you notice during at this stage that the duck rejects too much fat, you can remove the surplus of melted fat, but be careful not to remove the thickness of meat juice and fat that will have solidified (a little like a gelatin, almost a crust).
Step 2: Preparing the dish
On your cutting board, peel and slice your onions and shallots.
You can then add them to your duck pieces.
Keep an eye on the cooking from time to time and mix with a wooden spatula to turn the pieces round, without damaging them (nor your material J!).
Salt and pepper moderately, preferably with coarse salt.
Once browned, pour the cider on the onions and shallots. (it should normally cover your preparation).
Let it simmer 1h10 … Check regularly (you do not have to stir)
Peel the carrots and cut into slices.
An hour and ten minutes later, add the carrots, berries, grapes, thyme, bay leaf, small pieces of crushed walnuts or hazelnuts.
Simmer 30 minutes more and your dish is ready.
You can serve this delicious little dish with french beans.
For a more refined presentation, my suggestion would be to present the beans in small fagots!
And now, its time you gourmand ones! And do not forget the most important is to please your senses!